Conventional Wisdom, Handouts, Flyers, etc.
This is a collection of general resource material for use in training for and
executing High Adventure activities.
Wilderness First Aid and Well-being
Giardia lamblia and Giardiasis
DISCLAIMER: The BSA SDIC HAT presents the following information in the interest of scientific inquiry only,
niether recommending nor condoning the drinking of untreated water in the wilderness.
- Official Giardiasis page from the U.S. Center for Disease Control
- Official Giardiasis page from the U.S. National Institutes of Health
- www.giardiasis.org - a page dedicated to the beast & the disease
- "Drink the water!" Evidence that Giardia is not a significant threat, by Robert L. Rockwell. (updated June 2003)
This report is available in various formats:
- PDF (requires Adobe Acrobat to open)
- Microsoft Word format
- "Going below the surface" article (PDF format) from Los Angeles Times, copyright 7/26/2005, by Linda Marsa,
tells the story of Bob Derlet, UC Davis School of Medicine, who researches "microscopic miscreants" in High Sierra water in pursuit of the truth.
He usually drinks the water straight. Two formats:
- Microsoft Word