High Adventure Leader Training
The High Adventure Team of the San Diego - Imperial Council offers various
training opportunities. Follow the links for each course for detailed
course descriptions, schedules, locations, and course fees.
Print out a flyer (.PDF) to share with your leaders.
- Look-up my training status
- Interactive search utility allows you to look up your certification status for HALTT and Water-Trek.
Training is good for four years, after which a refresher class is required to stay "current".
- High Adventure Leader Trek Training (HALTT)
- Prepares unit leaders for backpacking trips, consisting of three sessions,
the first two of which are shared with Water Trek Training. Training
certification is required for units seeking High Adventure Awards.
- Water Trek Training
- This course prepares unit leaders to operate on flat and moving water.
It consists of three or more sessions, the first two of which are shared
with HALTT. Training certification is required for units seeking High
Adventure Awards for aquatic activities.
- HALTT Retraining
- One-day single-session refresher course for unit leaders whose HALTT
certification has expired. Details.
- Water Trek Retraining
- For unit leaders whose Water Trek certification has expired.
Consists of attending the first two meetings of session IV.
Details are provided on the Water
Trek Training page.
- Specialist Training
- Prepares unit leaders in various areas beyond the basic HALTT training.
Multiple sessions covering different aspects of the High Adventure experience.
- Unit Backpack Training
- "Learn by doing" opportunity for leaders and their units.
- Trail Building
- Instruction in trail construction and maintenance, for Scouts and
Leaders. (Trail work is required for many High Adventure Awards.)
- BSA Climbing Instructor
- Help keep climbing/rappelling as part of your unit's activities
by becoming certified as soon as possible as a BSA Climbing Instructor for
your Unit, District, or Council.
There are also guidelines for which climbing
activities are appropriate for which age groups.