A one-day course to teach Scouts trail construction and maintenance.
Offered from September to May. Eagle Scout candidates can be trained
in trail construction for projects that they develop off of BSA property.
These trail building sessions are taught as a joint effort of the
High Adventure Team of the San Diego - Imperial Council of Boy Scouts and the
Pacific Crest Trail Section of the SD Chapter of the Sierra Club.
Various patches/awards can be earned by doing trail work:
- TRAILSAVER Series Awards--Cummulative hours not used elsewhere:
- Silver Trail Saver Patch -- 6 hours of trail work.
- Forest Conservation Patch -- 12 hours of trail work.
- Gold Trail Saver Patch -- 18 hours of trail work.
- Trail Blazing Patch -- 24 hours of trail work.
- Trail Saver Ribbon/medal -- 30 hours of trail work.
- Pacific Crest Trail Hiking Award -- Backpack 15 miles on PCT and
Do 4 hours of work on PCT or PCT feeder trail within 6 months of hike.
- Pacific Crest Trail Builder Award -- Do 6 hours of PCT trail work.
- Pacific Crest Trail Footprint -- For an additional 15 miles of PCT
hiking & 2 hours of trail construction or maintenance
work on PCT.
- If you are planning to earn the 50-miler patch at Philmont, you will need to put in 7 hours here and pick up 3 at Philmont.
See Trek Aids for details before starting
work on any awards.
||Various sites throughout the District
||Rob Langsdorf, 858-454-4777
mctrob (at) yahoo.com
Rich Reeder, 619-962-0712
dsrtfreak (at) msn.com
Be sure to contact Rob Langsdorf (858-454-4777, <mctrob at yahoo dot com>)
or Rich Reeder (619-962-0712, <dsrtfreak at msn dot com>)
to sign up and to check on meeting date & location (these are subject to change)
if you plan to join us on any of these construction outings.
Each worker should bring:
- 4 liters of water
- Work gloves
- Weather protection
- Daypack to have hands free to carry tools